Wednesday, March 30, 2016

(03/30/2016) Faith and The Cross?




Today, I share a personal reflection (account, testimony) trusting that, despite time and space, through operations of the Holy Spirit, blood and truth from the cross are flowing to here and now.  For many the huge issue of faith is whether we have the authority to command the will of GOD be done.  Often, for me, the great problem of belief is not having to accept what Christ and others acting in his name have done; rather, my issues of faith tend to be what I can or cannot do, have, and have not done.  After viewing the video someone sent to me at Facebook (use the link above to see “Child not walking healed by Him” shared by BN Tamil Christian Fellowship; published October 24, 2015), I cautioned myself to reflect carefully upon what I had seen.  I felt challenged to consider again Matthew 9:  5, King James Version (KJV):  5 For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk?  The corollary immediately came to mind as well:  Whether is easier, to say, I believe Christ died upon the cross to release humanity from sin, or to say, I believe that the name of Christ has made a child able to walk?
The holy writings include a report that the apostles, John and Peter, responded to a beggar as they were entering the Temple in Jerusalem.  It is written:  1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.  2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;  3 Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.  4 And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.  5 And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.  6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.  7 And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.  8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.  9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God:  10 And they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple:  and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.  (Acts 3:  1-10, KJV)
Initially, forgiveness of sin and repentance did not impress me as the primary focus for either of the two healing miracles.  The healing of the child first appeared as an example of the divine ministry of exorcism; while the act of the apostles appeared as a further falling of Spirit blessing (we say, gifts), and Pentecost.  After some reflection I decided the two sacred events are one in their purpose and substance.  Both continue the revelation from Jesus Christ, and they both charge the believer to accept and receive him.  Consider again:  Mark 9:  37-40, KJV:  37 Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me:  and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.  38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us:   and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.  39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not:  for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.  40 For he that is not against us is on our part.
There is far more to be said, understood, and spiritually apprehended.  (For example, 2nd Peter 1:  5-11, KJV:  5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;  6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;  7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.  8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.  10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure:  for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:  11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.)  Like arriving at perfection, arriving at peace is a process of gradual change.  Even so, I trust this fragment will be useful.  Be it unto you according to your faith.
THE BLACK PHOENIX
Washington, DC





No comments:

Post a Comment