Friday, December 13, 2013

(12/13/2013) Should I Speak?

Campus life, student struggles, and ones duty to speak in the congregation at home are topics, today.  A writer at “Yahoo! Answers” using the ID “Tom” (Level 1 with 95 points, a member since December 12, 2013) posted the following:


Should I speak at church?

I'm a college kid, and my pastor from home asked me if I would speak a few Sundays from now during the sermon. I really want to do it. I want to talk about college and the struggles that Christians face and that sort of stuff, but... I don't feel like I deserve it. There are a lot "cleaner" people in the church that can speak. I struggle with my own sin. I struggle with partying, drinking, and I have sex with my girlfriend... I know that it is very wrong, but it's tough. What do I do?


Additional Details

I would like to add that I am not going to lie about anything or to anyone. I'm just talking about the struggles.


THE GOLDEN ARROW:  Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them:  because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.  They are of the world:  therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.  We are of God:  he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.  Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.  He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.  In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.  Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.  Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.  (1st John 4:  4-11, KJV)


THE DOUBLE DAGGER:  Church is Good? (06/15/2013); Feeling Loved By GOD? (06/16/2013); Church Mandatory? (05/06/2013); A GOD of Love? (05/07/2013); Outgrowing Childhood Prayers? (04/07/2013); Confessing Only to GOD? (04/08/2013); The Faith of Ones Parents? (11/18/2012); Reading Only The Red Part (11/19/2012); Attending Church? (11/12/2012); A Holy Kiss? (11/13/2012)


“Tom,” along with 2nd Corinthians 4:  1-18, KJV, here are a few points to consider in coming to decision:

(1)  Every believer answers that very same challenging question, should I speak, and becomes caught up in similar thoughts:  is this the time and place; what should I say; and how can I share what Christ wants me to deliver, and still make it clear that I am not trying to promote myself as “holier than thou,” or some kind of a saint? 

(2.)  Even Moses, Aaron, and all of the disciples and early apostles encountered that same self-confrontation when approaching GOD and the people of his divine outreach.  A mix of undifferentiated feeling is generated by an awareness of ones finite being that may include human fears, embarrassment at shortcomings, and shame at continuing weaknesses.

(3.)  School has given you some tools for making formal presentations that share instruction; while church and the holy writings have prepared you to prophecy (i.e., comfort, edify—build up, and exhort—urge others to take positive action).  Use them.  It is not a casual conversation or a time for anecdotes.  Avoid “public confession” for it tends to come off as boasting, fishing for pity, showing off ones sins, and telling horror stories to shock and shame others.

(4.)  To dispel your anxiety and uncertainty, agree with the Pastor on the few points you wish to make, and the content of your remarks before the time. 
There is far more to be said, correctly shared, and spiritually understood.  For example, (5.)  Speaking to a congregation of believers, who are now in a shared though different struggle with you, some who have been in that same struggle, or some who will be in the same struggle, your primary task is to trust Jesus Christ, and to honor GOD with respect, and truth.  More important than describing and detailing any struggle is the report of how believers may cooperate with what GOD is doing that they might overcome and have victory—such as inviting them to lead prayer or speak openly before peers.)  Even so, I trust this fragment will be useful.  Be it unto you according to your faith.  Jesus is coming.


THE BLACK PHOENIX
Washington, DC


New Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment